If you are like me who loveeees pasta & pretends to be trying to try eat healthy then this recipe is for you for sure .After being vegetarian for a month due to a 41 day oath to not touch or get anywhere close to non-veg I was slowly starting to get nostalgic about my favourite gnocchi & Bolognese sauce that I indulge myself with whenever I feel like cooking some pasta .Yes yes I can hear u loud enough saying what are you trying to compare bolognaise sauce with red lentil sauce no waysss. But you gotta trust me its super tasty & a lot more guilt free & somewhat healthy too .If you’re a mum you would feed it to your kid with a smile on your face thanks to the nutritional value that sweet potato &red lentil offers for your body.Well I’m in no mood to preach about how healthy this stuff is because im all set to indulge myself with this yummilicious bowl of goodness.Im eagerly waiting to see how many of you cook &relish it .Do send me a lovely snap & feed back of your versions of this pasta .Chalo enjoyyyyy
Sweet potato Gnocchi
1cup sweet potato/ratalu (boiled & mashed) 1cup all-purpose flour /Maida ½tsp mixed herbs Salt to taste
Red lentil sauce 1cup red lentil /masur ki dal 2 green chilies (slit) 1inch cinnamon stick 10 garlic cloves (finely chopped) 1tomato (finely diced) 1onion (sliced & deep fried)/ barista ¾tsp garam masala 1/2tsp mixed herbs 1tsp red chili powder (add more as per taste) 2tbsp tender stem of coriander leaves ½tsp black salt Salt to taste 1tbsp ghee or butter Coriander leaves /kotmir to garnish Fresh Basil leaves for garnish
For the Sweet Potato Gnocchi
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl & mix well till a dough is formed .Sprinkle some water if needed to form the dough (do not pour water just sprinkle). 2. Divide the dough into 4 parts & roll into long thick threads & cut in to small cubes & keep aside. 3. To shape gnocchi -dust a fork with flour & press & roll the gnocchi. 4. While shaping gnocchi keep a large pot of water to boil. 5. Once all the gnocchi are ready put 1tbsp salt in the boiling water & drop the gnocchi in the boiling water & cook for 5-7 minutes till no longer floury in taste. 6. The eye test to cooking gnocchi is the raw gnocchi will sink to the bottom & once it’s cooked will rise to the surface & do a happy dance on top surface of the water. 7. In the meantime that the gnocchi is cooking start making the sauce as the gnocchi tastes best from the boiling water to the sauce.
For the sauce
1. Heat a pressure cooker & add the lentil, tomatoes &green chilies & salt & pressure cook up till 4 whistle, open the pressure cooker only once the pressure is released.
2. Heat ghee or butter in a deep pan & cinnamon stick, asafoetida (hing), Garlic, coriander stems & cook for 2 mins.
3. Pour the cooked lentil mixture to the pan & mix well till smooth. 4. Add Kashmiri chili powder, salt, garam masala, black salt &mixed herbs, mix well & cook for 4-5 mins with 1/4th cup water added to it. 5. Once thick add the gnocchi & cook for 4-5 mins .Do not mix vigorously use a small spoon & mix with light hands. 6. Once ready serve hot.
There are 2 variations of serving styles:-
• Pasta version: Serve hot with grated cheese & a sprinkle of mixed herbs on top with basil leaves as garnish.
Indian version: Serve hot with crisp golden fried onions (Birista), chat masala & chopped coriander leaves with a dash of lime juice.